Our friends at JD Farms Specialty Turkey have shared their delicious stuffing recipe with us, just in time for Christmas. Turkeys raised under the JD Farms specialty turkey certification are fed a natural diet of grain, vitamins and minerals without any antibiotics or animal by-products. This stuffing is the perfect addition to their high-quality turkeys.
Debbie’s Stuffing Recipe by JD Farms Specialty Turkey
- 1 lb butter
- 1/2 cup turkey stock
- 4 large onions
- 1/4 lb sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Fresh herbs; Thyme, Sage, Marjoram and Rosemary
- 1 jar (250ml) cranberry sauce*
- 6 cups dried bread crumbs or 10 cups fresh bread crumbs
- Melt butter in fry pan over medium heat; add onions, mushrooms and spices. Brown lightly for 5 minutes.
- Add cranberry sauce, stir until well mixed.
- Pour mixture over bread in large bowl; gradually pour in turkey stock until moistened.
- Stuff into turkey cavity and roast.
*For a wonderful, delicious addition to your stuffing try omitting the jar of cranberry sauce and adding 1-2 cups of the following:
- Chopped apples
- Whole cranberries
- Cooked JD Farms onion sausage
- Hazelnuts or pecans
IMPORTANT: ALWAYS STUFF THE TURKEY JUST BEFORE COOKING IT – NEVER STUFF THE TURKEY AHEAD AS BACTERIA CAN GROW AND MAKE YOU QUITE ILL.