Wood kitchen cabinetry is a timeless classic, and can look great, provided they are clean. Kitchens can be dirty places, with food being spilled, grease splattering, dirty hand prints and much, much more leaving their mark. So how can we clean these and give them back their great appearance? Here are some pro tips for cleaning wooden kitchen cabinets.
Vinegar is your friend. No, seriously. Vinegar is a natural cleaner that is not only very effective, but also safe to use, environmentally friendly, and easy on the wood. There are a number of commercial cleaners available, but vinegar can be just as effective. Mix equal parts vinegar to water in a spray bottle. Mist this gently onto the cabinet, let it sit for a minute or two, and then gently wipe with a soft cloth. You can add a drop of liquid dish soap if the cabinets are particularly greasy.
Some things to remember:
- Use a soft, non-abrasive cloth, or sponge. Avoid any clothes that could gouge or scratch the wood
- Do not forget to give the knobs and handles a quick wipe down
- For ornate edges or detailed trim, a toothbrush works well in those hard to reach crevices.
- Use clean water to wipe away any excess cleaner or vinegar.
- Dry any surfaces with a clean towel
- For difficult stains, try letting a vinegar and baking soda combination sit on the stained area, before gently rubbing with your soft cloth. Do not scrub too hard, as you may damage the wood.
Wood cabinets not only look great but are fairly simple to keep clean and well maintained. Give these pro tips a try before rushing out to buy expensive cleaners or damaging your cabinets.